Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

GME Institutional Policies

Alphabetical Listing of Key GME Institutional Policies for Our Campus



GME Resident/Fellow On-the-Job Injuries and Exposures (including Needlesticks):  
Review how to report to the hospital and how to report to the State of Tennessee Workers Compensation (CorVel)

Workers Compensation Claims Process Supervisor: 

  • Supervisor may call in First Notice of Loss (FNOL) within 3 days when resident is receiving medical treatment. 
  • Contact the CorVel nurse triage line:  1-866-245-8588 option #2
  • A departmental fine of $500 - $1,000 will be charged each time a claim is not reported within 24 hours of the incident by the Resident/Fellow, including the Supervisor Report. 

Workers Compensation Claims Process for Residents:

Step 1:  Injured Worker Reports Injury

  • BEFORE SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT, report the injury to CorVel: 1-866-245-8588, Option 1
  • This is a 24/7 Nurse Line
  • The NURSE determines the appropriate level of treatment needed and will direct you to the nearest STATE APPROVED treatment facility
  • DO NOT go to the doctor before you call CorVel

Step 2:  Inform your Supervisor RIGHT AWAY

  • Exactly what happened, how it happened, and if CorVel advises you to get medical treatment.

Step 3:  Inform the GME Office WITHIN 24 hours of Injury

Complete the Incident Report form and return to the GME Office in Suite 104 of the Whitehall Building (fax to 423.778.3673 or scan and email to

Nov 9, 2023