Resident Salary and Benefits
2016-2017 Resident Compensation Rates for ACGME-Accredited Programs
|PGY Level||Base Annual||with Disability
Life Benefits *
*In addition to the base salary, those residents participating in the disability and group life insurance programs provided through GME currently receive an additional $600 per year for disability and life insurance benefits as shown above in Column 3.
For more resident salary information, please see GME Policy #210.
All residents are paid by the Graduate Medical Education office and receive the same
salary for the group PGY level. Compensation rates and benefits are included in the
Agreement of Appointment which must be reviewed and signed by each new resident prior
to the start of residency:
Agreement of Appointment
All employees are required to have automatic deposit. Residents will be paid monthly on the last working day of the month.
Residents advancing to the next PGY level must have the following items in order to receive the PGY level salary increase:
- Record of attendance, makeup, or excused absence from SVMIC conference
- All HIPAA on-line training modules completed
- An annual TB test completed and results received in GME office
- Resident file complete (health statement, transcript, etc.)
- If changing programs, a new registration form and agreement of appointment completed
Resident Insurance Benefits Healthcare
Health insurance is provided by CIGNA Healthcare for residents and eligible dependents. Coverage is effective on the residents first recognized day of residency/fellowship program. The CIGNA provider directory is available at http://www.cigna.com.
- The Basic Group Life Insurance Benefit issued through United Healthcare is $100,000.
- If you are still employed at age 65, the Basic Group Life Insurance Benefit will reduce to 65% at age 65, 50% at age 70 and terminate at retirement.
- The basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefit issued through United Healthcare is $100,000.
- If you are still employed at age 65, the Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefit will reduce to 65% at age 65, 50% at age 70 and terminate at retirement.
- Benefits are issued on a 24 hour basis, so you are covered around the clock.
- There is a provision for an accelerated death benefit of up to $50,000 in the event you are diagnosed as being terminally ill, with a life expectancy of less than 12 months.
- There is a provision for waiver of premium in the event that the insured is totally disabled.
For further information, our servicing agent is Ed Barnett with The Barnett Group in Memphis, TN. He can be contacted at 901.365.3447 to answer any of your questions or concerns. The address is 7906 Players Forest Drive, Suite 1, Memphis, TN 38119.
- 3 monthly benefit options - $1,500/month (required unless proof of other coverage is presented), $2,500/month, or $4,000/month tax free benefit amount, issued through Principal Financial Group. Monthly benefits begin after an elimination period of 90 days; i.e., 90 days from the onset of disability.
- Non Cancelable & Guaranteed Renewable Coverage cannot be canceled and premiums are guaranteed level at your current age through age 65
- Definition of Disability A loss of time or duties in your occupation (MD or DO), which results in at least a 20% loss of earnings
See the Graduate Medical Education policies and procedures page for additional and related information.