Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

Alcoholic Beverage Event Request

The service, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages on University-Controlled Property or at University-affiliated activities is regulated by the UT System Alcohol Policy

Event requests must be approved by the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor. Events involving students must additionally be approved by the Office of Student Affairs.

Highlights of the UT System Alcohol Policy and instructions for complying with the UTHSC event registration procedure are summarized below.

  • Events with alcohol must be registered at least fifteen (15) business days in advance of the event.
  • Functions at which students will either be in attendance must first be registered with and approved by the Office of Student Affairs.
  • Alcohol may only be served by a university-approved third-party vendor with a valid Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission license.
  • University employees are not permitted to purchase alcohol for subsequent service by the third-party vendor.
  • Alcohol may only be purchased using restricted funds (i.e., an “R” account). No other State or University funds may be used to purchase alcohol.
  • Food and non-alcoholic beverages must be served during all times that alcohol is present.
  • Sober contacts must be present at the event to ensure event management procedures are followed. The ratio of sober contacts to attendees must be at least 1:25. These sober contacts must be members in good standing of the organization hosting the event. 
  • Third-party vendors serving alcohol on University-Controlled Property shall meet insurance requirements* established by the UT Office of Risk Management.
  • Functions at which students will either be in attendance or consuming alcohol must first be approved by the Office of Student Affairs.
  • The event cannot last longer than a 4-hour time period.
  • The distribution of alcohol must cease 30 minutes prior to the end of the event.
  • No common source alcohol is permitted (punch bowl, keg, fountain etc.).
  • Activities that encourage rapid or excessive consumption of alcohol such as beer pong, chug races, flip cup etc. are not permitted.
  • Alcohol may not be the focus or central part of the event or activity.
  • Events that do not comply with the requirements listed above will not be approved unless an exception is made by the Chancellor.
*Insurance Requirements
Workers’ Compensation (WC): Statutory Limits
  • Employers’ Liability Each Accident: $100,000
  • Employers’ Liability Disease – each employee: $100,000
  • Employers’ Liability Disease – policy limit: $500,000

Commercial General Liability (CGL):

  • Each Occurrence Limit: $1,000,000
  • Damage to Rented Premises – Ea. Occ.: $300,000
  • Medical Expense – any one person: $10,000
  • Personal and Advertising Injury Limit: $1,000,000
  • General Aggregate Limit: $2,000,000
  • Products/Completed Ops. Aggregate Limit: $2,000,000

Liquor Liability (When distributing, selling, or serving alcohol): $1,000,000

Umbrella Liability:

  • Each Occurrence Limit: $5,000,000
  • Aggregate Limit: $5,000,000

Automobile Liability:

  • Combined Single Limit: $1,000,000


The registration form for events involving the consumption of alcohol will require that applicants provide the following information:

  • Event Name and Organization
  • Sponsor/Event Host
  • Point of Contact for Additional Information or Approval/Rejection
  • Date
  • Time
  • Type of alcohol to be served (e.g., beer, wine, liquor)
  • Food Service (e.g., dinner, appetizers, etc.)
  • Anticipated number of attendees
  • Name and Contact Information for Sober Contacts
  • Students will be in attendance 

Attach the following supporting documentation to the event registration form:

  • Approval from the Office of Student Affairs for events at which students will be in attendance.
  • Third-party vendor’s current Certificate of Insurance (COI) meeting UTHSC event insurance requirements.
  • Alcohol Licenses (e.g., caterer, bartenders, etc.)
Register a University Affiliated Event Involving the Consumption of Alcohol
Nov 21, 2023