Application and Admission
Criteria for application
To be considered eligible, a candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
- DDS, DMD from a CODA accredited dental school, or foreign equivalent, prior to entering the program
- 3.00 course work average on a 4.00 dental school grading system
- Rank in the upper 50% of their dental school graduating class
Applicants with 4 or more years private practice experience are given stronger consideration than recent dental graduates or senior dental students.
The following factors, in no particular order, are considered when selecting interviewees for acceptance into the program:
- Morals, personal character, and integrity
- Motivations and goals
- Academic performance in college and dental school, including GPA and class rank
- Performance on standardized tests
- State Dental Licensure
- Clinical experience
- Extracurricular activities
- Research experience
- Letters of reference
- Participation in organized dentistry/endodontics
The Advanced Specialty Education Program in Endodontics participates in the American Dental Education Association's (ADEA) Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS). The program does not participate in the MATCH or ADAT program.
The ADEA/PASS program is a centralized application service for applicants applying to advanced dental education programs in the United States. Currently (May 2016) 37 out of 56 Advanced Specialty Education Programs in Endodontics participate in PASS. Further program details and application can be found using the PASS search engine.
PASS specific application
Application materials should be completed and received by PASS before August 1 in the year prior to anticipated admission. A total of 3 PEFs are required for the PASS application to be considered complete, in addition to all other requirements, such as CV, biographical data, etc. Completed PASS applications will be reviewed as the additional requested documentation is received by the Program Coordinator (see below). Invitations for formal on-site interviews will occur the last week of July, with other dates as needed until the class is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete the PASS application process prior to August 1.
Program specific application
The following must be submitted directly to the program coordinator:
- 2×2" passport size photo
- A narrative stating your reasons for interest in pursuing advanced training in the specialty of endodontics. The narrative should include a specific statement of why you are interested in the program at the University of Tennessee
Ms. Robin Thompson
Department of Endodontics, Room C502
875 Union Ave
Memphis TN 38163
Do not send any certified transcripts directly to the program unless you have conditional acceptance.
Department of Endodontics
875 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163