Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

Campaign FAQs

How do I donate to the United Way of the Mid-South?
That's easy! You complete the Pledge Form you received, enclose payment information or cash/check and return the completed form to your Campaign representative.
What is a suggested donation amount? 

This is completely up to you. There are some suggested amounts listed on the Pledge Form for Payroll Deduction, but you should feel free to write in your own amount if what you wish to donate is not already listed.

If you donate $50 or more, you will be able to direct the funds to a specific agency or geographic area (see back of yellow copy of Pledge Form).

My spouse donates for both of us at his/her employer. Can I get credit for that donation?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to credit you for a donation not made at UTHSC. You and your spouse may consider splitting your donation, so that each of you will be able to contribute to the United Way campaign at your respective employers.
How is my donation used by United Way? 

Many non-profit agencies in the Mid-South benefit from your United Way donation. And you may already have benefited from a United Way donation if you or someone in your family have participated in or used any of the following:

  • American Red Cross CPR training
  • Big Brothers/Big Sisters
  • Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts
  • LINC 211
  • Memphis Literacy Council
  • Special Olympics
  • Tennessee Poison Center

This is a only a very small sample of the many agencies which benefit from United Way of the Mid-South and serve children, youth, seniors, the disabled, the sick, the homeless, and many more.

The United Way of the Mid-South serves 8 counties in Arkansas (Crittenden), Mississippi (DeSoto, Tate, Tunica) and Tennessee (Fayette, Lauderdale, Shelby, Tipton)

Allocation committees composed of trained community volunteers decide where non-donor-designated donations go. Would you like to decide where your donation goes after it reaches the United Way office? Then click here to volunteer.

Only 9.9 cents of each dollar raised by United Way of the Mid-South goes to pay administrative and fundraising costs. This is among the lowest administrative costs for non-profits in the region.

How do I designate my gift to a specific group or organization that is a United Way agency? 
If you want to designate your gift to a particular agency of your choice, just write in the name of the agency on the back of the form. A minimum donation of $50 is required to specify a particular agency. 
Can I direct my gift to a group that is not funded by United Way? 
Yes. You may give to ANY health and human service non-profit organization of your choice.If you want to give another organization, whether or not it is a designated United Way agency, write the name of the organization on the back of the form and United Way will forward your contribution. You will receive acknowledgement directly from the organization. 
Why should I donate to United Way, when I can donate directly to my favorite charity? 
United Way of the Mid-South distributes donations to a wide variety of local non-profit agencies which provide a network of services for our community. Without United Way funds, many of the smaller agencies would not be able to provide such services, because they do not have the resources or visibility in the community to conduct fundraising campaigns. And many people donate both to United Way as well as directly to their favorite charity. 
May 26, 2022