Fu-Ming Zhou, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
874 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-1779
Lab: 315 Crowe Building
Email: Fu-Ming Zhou
- Ph.D. Institution: Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Postdoctoral: Department of Neurobiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Dr. Zhou currently conducts a multidisciplinary research program designed to determine the molecular, cellular and neuropharmacological mechanisms of the brain monoamine systems. Particular attention is being paid to the contributions of these monoamine systems to neuropsychiatric disorders such as Parkinson's disease, depression, schizophrenia, drug abuse, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). We use rodents as our experimental animals. Mutant mice are used in specific cases.
Several techniques are used in the laboratory:
- Electrophysiology-patch clamp
- Molecular biology (single cell RT-PCR in combination with patch clamp; gene expression profiling and manipulation)
- Electrochemistry (fast cyclic voltammetry at the carbon fiber microelectrode; HPLC)
- Immunohistochemistry (double and triple immunolabeling, confocal microscopy)
Dr. Zhou's research is funded by R01 grants from the National Institute on Drug Abuse and National Institute of Mental Health and grants from private foundations.
- Ding S, Zhou FM. Serotonin regulation of subthalamic neurons. Rev Neurosci. 2014 Apr 9. pii: /j/revneuro.ahead-of-print/revneuro-2014-0004/revneuro-2014-0004.xml. doi: 10.1515/revneuro-2014-0004. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24717335.
- O'Neill B, Tilley MR, Han DD, Thirtamara-Rajamani K, Hill ER, Bishop GA, Zhou FM, During MJ, Gu HH. Behavior of knock-in mice with a cocaine-insensitive dopamine transporter after virogenetic restoration of cocaine sensitivity in the striatum. Neuropharmacology. 2014 Apr;79:626-33. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropharm.2013.12.023. Epub 2014 Jan 9. PubMed PMID: 24412674.
- Wu QW, Yan RF, Li Q, Hu Y, Zhou FM, Ren JP, Yang RM, Zhang Y. Magnetic resonance image manifestations of the atypical meningioma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2013;14(11):6337-40. PubMed PMID: 24377528.
- Wei W, Li L, Yu G, Ding S, Li C, Zhou FM. Supersensitive presynaptic dopamine D2 receptor inhibition of the striatopallidal projection in nigrostriatal dopamine-deficient mice. J Neurophysiol. 2013 Nov;110(9):2203-16. doi: 10.1152/jn.00161.2013. Epub 2013 Aug 14. PubMed PMID: 23945778; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3841926.
- Ding S, Li L, Zhou FM. Presynaptic serotonergic gating of the subthalamonigral glutamatergic projection. J Neurosci. 2013 Mar 13;33(11):4875-85. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4111-12.2013. PubMed PMID: 23486958; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3617555.
- Li L, Zhou FM. Parallel dopamine D1 receptor activity dependence of l-Dopa-induced normal movement and dyskinesia in mice. Neuroscience. 2013 Apr 16;236:66-76. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2012.12.065. Epub 2013 Jan 26. PubMed PMID: 23357114; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3616626.