Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

Biosafety Cabinet Certification

The Office of Research Safety Affairs certifies biosafety cabinets (BSCs) and provides BSC services according to the fee schedule located below. Requests for certification or other maintenance issues must be submitted through iLab. Call (901) 448-6114 or email with problems or if you need additional information.

Biosafety Cabinets (BSCs) must be certified when:

  • New equipment is installed, prior to first use
  • Annually
  • It has been moved to a new room
  • After the repair or replacement of parts that may impact the performance of the equipment (e.g. filters, motor, etc.)

Prepare your cabinet for certification by doing the following:

  • Plan for the BSC to be unavailable for use during the 2-3 hours necessary for certification. 
  • Remove all equipment and supplies from within the BSC.
  • Use Spor-Klenz or another suitable disinfectantto decontaminate the work surface, interior walls and interior surface of the window sash.

Note: Research Safety Affairs personnel will not remove any equipment or supplies from within the BSC. If equipment has not been removed and interior surfaces disinfected prior to the schedule certification appointment the cabinet will not be certified and service will need to be rescheduled.


Service and Fee Schedule

Service  Fee charged by Research Safety Affairs  Market rate charged by independent contractors
 BSC Certification  $103  $250-300
 BSC Decontamination prior to filter change or motor repair  $309  $900 and up
 BSC Maintenance2  $36.50/hour/person  $100/hour/person
BSC Repair - No Show Fee $25.75 Not Applicable

Additional information about BSC certification including details about the testing procedure can be found on the What to Expect When Having Your Biological Safety Cabinet Field Certified document. If you have specific questions please email us at

1The UTHSC Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) does not permit the use of alcohol for surface disinfection on IBC approved protocols. 

2Research Safety Affairs provides the replacement and repair of basic consumable components such as HEPA filters, bulbs, etc. Certain repairs such as filter changes require two individuals. Repairs outside the capabilities of Research Safety Affairs, such as those that require electrical troubleshooting or the replacement non-consumable parts, must be performed by a third party. Research Safety Affairs can provide the names of Memphis-area vendors.

May 26, 2022