University Health Services is excited to expand our clinical services to offer Travel Medicine. This service allows our clients to receive the necessary immunizations for most world-wide travel in the convenience of our office. We also offer referrals to the Shelby County Health Department for immunizations that we do not routinely keep in our clinic. In addition to immunizations, we educate our clients to take proactive steps to minimize risks of travel related illness or injuries.
Our travel clinic is designed to help travelers prepare for health and safety conditions in many international destinations. Our clinic provides travel vaccinations AS WELL AS comprehensive travel health services. We offer laboratory testing, visa and work permit physicals, and pre-travel wellness exams including age-appropriate screenings.
Preparation for Travel
At UHS, Each client receives:
- Travel health and safety counseling customized to his/her itinerary and style of travel
- Written customized information about potential health risks, required and recommended immunizations, U.S. State Department Advisories for area of travel, consulate information, and general information for the countries of travel.
- Written general travel health and safety information for international travelers.
- Recommended and required immunizations as agreed upon by the client and provider.
- The official World Health Organization immunization record required for travel in many areas.
- Information and prescriptions for medication to prevent and treat certain illnesses such as malaria and traveler's diarrhea.
- Current information on jet lag or acute mountain sickness as appropriate to the itinerary.
- Information regarding health insurance overseas and emergency care are necessary and can be obtained.
- Travel insurance - contact WorldWide Travel Protector on: 0870 120 0112 -can be arranged on the telephone.
These CONSULTATIONS are by special arrangement; please call 901-448-5630 for more information.
University Health Services provides many vaccinations required for travel, as well as referral to the Memphis/Shelby County Health Dept. for other required immunizations, if needed.
Available vaccines include:
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Polio (injectable)
- Yellow fever vaccine
- Cholera is not provided in the U.S.
- Tuberculosis screening is also available.
The Memphis/Shelby County Health Department is at 814 Jefferson Avenue, Second floor. Walk-in hours are 8-3:30 PM and the phone number is 901-544-7711.
Continuous Medical Coverage
Established clients receive 24 hour provider coverage by phone, 365 days per year for urgent travel related health care questions or needs
Post Travel Needs
Travelers may return to the U.S. with symptoms of travel related illness or symptoms of illnesses may present weeks or months later. Travelers with symptoms of illness including fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, cough, and skin rash should return to the clinic for evaluation, treatment, or referral.
Office Hours and Appointments
Monday thru Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, summer hours 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Saturday and Sunday - Closed
To make an appointment, call (901) 448-5630. We attempt to accommodate requests for appointments within 48 hours. However, travelers should plan a consultation several weeks in advance of the planned departure date to allow time for completion of vaccine series and time for vaccinations to become effective.
- Travel Club Online is a site created for the noncommercial travel adventurer. This site identifies the several topics according to specific destinations. The topics include the following: general information, vaccines, malaria, other health issues, and travel advisories. Also, included is general information such as vaccine-preventable diseases, infectious diseases, health and safety, and special needs. This site also provides on online list of providers in locations around the globe.
- Dr. Mark Wise Travel Clinic offers information relative to preparation to travel, the duration of the trip, the return from travel, and the special traveler. This site is a helpful general resource for travel, but it is limited to specific destinations.
- AirHealth website is a helpful resource for the air traveler. It provides information for pilots and passengers to discourage the occurrence of health problems such as deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary emboli. It offers tips to minimize risks and discusses the importance of family history in identifying risk. It also gives a description of symptoms in order to avoid misdiagnosis. See the passenger page for a good overview! .
- The Medical College of Wisconsin MCWHealthLink site offers a wide variety of information relative to travel. Topics include air bag injury prevention, air travel complication prevention tips, immunizations and vaccines, environmental information, disease descriptions, sleep and circadian rhythms, sun protection, and special traveler information. The site offers a good balance of information whether traveling via ground or air. This site does not offer destination specific information.
- The Center for Disease Control (Travel Tips and Health Related Tips) offers a website which is a comprehensive site for the world traveler. The site provides information according to region to identify health risks and necessary immunizations. It also provides information about outbreaks, safe food and water, travel medicine clinics, traveling with children, special needs travelers, cruise and air travel, visitor surveys, and links to health department sites. Also, it provides links for current news events.
If you are a UTHSC student or employee, you may now schedule appointments, exchange messages with UHS staff, complete forms or surveys, check your financial account summary, or review/print immunizations through a secure online web-based portal using your NetID and password! You can also call (901) 448-5630 to schedule an appointment. An after hours on call providers are available to you by calling (901) 541-5654.
Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (close daily between 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.)
University Health Services
910 Madison Ave. Suite 922
Memphis, Tennessee 38163