Federal Work-Study Program
What is Federal Work-Study?
Federal Work-Study is a program that provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for college expenses.
How Do I Qualify for Work-Study?
Every academic year each student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for federal work-study (FWS). The results of this application are reviewed by the UTHSC Financial Aid Office to determine student eligibility.
A Federal Work-Study award CANNOT be used to meet registration fees because this money is not paid "upfront." Students are paid for the number of hours they work based on timesheets submitted by the appropriate department to the University payroll system.
- New hires, once you have determined eligibility please make sure to complete all FWS paperwork and submit them to the Federal Workstudy Coordinator for review.
- All re-hires, once you have determined re-eligbility, please submit an up-to-date checklist approval form for each new academic year.
What Types of Jobs Can I Apply For?
Before you apply for a Federal Work-Study job please check with the financial aid office to ensure that you are eligible.
Only students that are eligible can be paid using federal work-study funds. We do not want you to go through a process of filling out unnecessary paperwork only to find out you are not eligible. You may find out by calling us at (901) 448-5568 or send an email with the subject "am I eligible for federal work-study" to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Various departments hire FWS recipients. Actual placement depends on your skills and interests, and the needs of the departments. Job responsibilities can range from general office duties to highly specialized laboratory and computer work. If you have not been awarded FWS but are interested in applying you may contact your Financial Aid Counselor to be reviewed for eligibility.
If you have been awarded Federal Work-Study, you may check the current jobs under available Federal Work-Study positions page. If you find a position you are interested in, please send an email with an attached resume to the contact email associated with the appropriate position. Should the department decide to hire you, you and the hiring department will need to complete the following documents:
Once all of the pages of this packet are completed please send to: Enrollment Services, 910 Madison Ave. Suite 525, Memphis, TN 38163. A student may begin work only after the forms are approved.
How many hours a week can I work?
You may work up to 20 hours a week during scheduled weeks of class, and up to 40 hours a week during times of scheduled breaks from class.
You are automatically considered ineligible to receive payment of FWS funds should any of the following occur:
- You have been paid up to the full amount of your FWS award amount.
- You withdraw from UTHSC
- You graduate from UTHSC
Remember: employment is automatically terminated at the end of your program's academic year. You must reapply for the next academic year.
When can I expect to be paid?
Students are paid bi-weekly at the hourly rate for which they are hired. Checks are issued every other Tuesday and direct deposited into a bank account.
- On Campus $10/hr
- Off campus $12/hr (anything over the $12/hr the department must cover 100%)
Under Federal Work-Study, the department is responsible for 25% of the student's earnings.
Timesheets are due every other Friday and are to be faxed to 901-448-1422 with BOTH the student's signature and supervisor's signature before they can be entered into the payroll system to be paid on time.
TIMESHEETS WILL BE ACCEPTED ONLY VIA THE FAX NUMBER ABOVE AND MUST BE RECEIVED BY 4PM EVERY OTHER MONDAY. Late timesheets or those missing a signature can NOT be approved for that pay period and will not be approved until the next pay day.
Enrollment Services Procedures Information
Timesheet and Payroll Steps
- Timesheets will be received by the Work-Study Coordinator via fax machine or email by 12:00 noon every other Monday in accordance with the dates listed on the timesheet. Timesheets arriving after the Monday deadline will NOT be approved for that pay period and will not be approved until the next pay period.
- The Work-Study Coordinator will enter all timesheets received by the deadline listed in step one into the payroll system by 5PM every other Monday in accordance with the calendar listed above.
- Timesheet Approval will be completed on the following Mondays (in accordance with the calendar listed above) by 12:00 noon by appropriate personnel.
- Checks are issued every other Tuesday and direct deposited into a bank account via the Payroll Office.