Bachelor’s Degree Required
This is a graduate, master’s degree program. All applicants must hold a Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
Minimum overall CASPA GPA: 2.75
Minimum Pre-requisite Science GPA: 2.75
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) UT Code 0201
- The GRE is required for all applicants.
- The Program believes that a minimum combined score of 300 is competitive.
- No score older than 5 years will be accepted.
- If the GRE has been re-taken the Program will accept the highest score.
Basic Science Requirements
|Required Course||Semester Hours|
|Anatomy and Physiology / Lab is required||8||May be comparative anatomy or human anatomy
May be one course of anatomy and one course of physiology
|Biology||6||Lab not required
May be general biology*(plant biology excluded)
|Microbiology||3||Lab not required|
|Chemistry||6||Chemistry for Science Majors; Lab not required|
|Medical Terminology||2||Must be an accredited traditional or online course|
|Math||3||Algebra or Calculus, Statistics preferred|
*Recommended Courses: Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Genetics
**All pre-requisite courses must have been completed with a “C” or better. If a course has been repeated, the grades will be averaged for the final grade.
Prerequisites older than 5 years may be accepted; however, the admissions committee reserves the right to request the applicant take additional courses to ensure they are appropriately prepared for the classroom setting.
Direct Patient Care Experience Requirements
100 hours of prior health care experience or shadowing is required. The Program considers it vital that prospective students enhance their knowledge of medicine through direct, patient-oriented clinical experience in a variety of settings. Such experience, which is frequently gained through volunteer work, should enable the student to acquire a greater understanding of the realities of medicine and provide an opportunity for service. The program considers 300 hours competitive.
Advanced Standing Policy
We do not award advanced standing, or transfer credit, or credit for experiential learning.
Additional Information/Health Requirements
Upon acceptance: Additional applicant/admission criteria are guided by the UTHSC system and include: supplemental application and fee, immunizations, criminal background check, health screen, technical standards and AHA BLS certification. For more information see: www.uthsc.edu/admissions/university-level_reqs.php
International Student Requirements
The following requirements must be met in addition to other prerequisite criteria:
- Transcripts to be audited by WES or other equivalent organization to show equivalent of a BS degree
- All pre-requisite courses must be taken in the United States at a regionally accredited institution of higher learning
- If English is a second language, minimum TOEFL IBT (internet based testing) scores of at least 87 with the minimum section requirements of: Reading: 21, Speaking: 26, Listening: 20, and Writing: 20
- Advanced standing credit is not awarded
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident
Master of Medical Science
Physician Assistant Program
66 North Pauline, Ste. 116
Memphis TN 38163