Foot and Ankle Fellowship
Code:15.011 Description of Foot and Ankle Fellowship
The University of Tennessee-Campbell Clinic Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowship in Foot and Ankle Surgery is a 12-month fellowship in surgery of the adult foot and ankle. Five days each week are spent with the foot and ankle staff in an office practice nearly exclusively weighted toward foot and ankle problems. There is excellent exposure to acute and reconstructive surgery of the foot and ankle, as well as a broad exposure to clinical non-surgical problems. There is no mandatory night call. The fellowship is focused on education (as opposed to mundane clinical tasks), with ample time for reading and research.
Facilities are available for clinical and basic science research projects within the various departments of the University of Tennessee. Campbell Foundation support staff is available to assist in this research. The fellow is required to work on at least one research project during the fellowship year. It is expected that this research will result in a presentation, a publication, or both.
Susan N. Ishikawa, M.D., who holds an Assistant Professorship at the University of Tennessee-Campbell Clinic Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, chairs this fellowship. She joined the staff on July 2005. Dr. Ishikawa, as Fellowship Director, establishes appropriate curriculum for the foot and ankle fellow according to the guidelines of the ACGME.Staff on the foot and ankle team include E. Greer Richardson, M.D., who has been on staff at Campbell Clinic since July 1977 and is a former president of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS). G. Drew Murphy, M. D., a graduate of the UT-WCC residency program who joined the staff in July, 1995 and David R. Richardson, MD who joined the staff in August 2005. Their practices are almost exclusively dedicated to foot and ankle problems. Specific responsibilities of the foot and ankle fellow are outlined below:
- See patients with Drs. Richardson, Murphy, and Ishikawa
- Work-up new patients: obtaining history and physical examination data, ordering appropriate x-rays and presenting the patient to the attending staff physician
- Perform all procedures as directed: removal of pins, administration of injections, routine foot care
- Complete preoperative history and physical examinations
- Share daily rounds with staff on all in-patients
- Serve as first assistant to staff, primary surgeon as directed
- Write postoperative orders and brief operative notes
- Dictate all operative notes as directed
- Perform all anesthetic blocks as directed
- Foot and Ankle Conferences
(6:15 am each Tuesday)
Attendance is mandatory
- Specialty Conference
(5:30-6:30 pm each Monday)
Attendance is mandatory for all foot and ankle topics.
Conference (6:30-8:00 pm each Monday)
- Core Curriculum Conference
(5:00-7:00 pm each Thursday)
- Journal Club
Attendance is mandatory for the meeting when foot and ankle journal topics are reviewed.
- Assist residents in surgery as requested and available.
Applicants for this fellowship must have completed an ACGME accredited residency program in orthopaedic surgery, or an AOA accredited residency in osteopathic surgery, and be eligible to obtain a DEA certificate and medical licenses in both Tennessee and Mississippi. They are also required to obtain hospital privileges at the following institutions affiliated with the parent program:
- University of Tennessee Campbell Clinic Faculty Appointment
- Campbell Clinic Surgery Center
- Baptist Memorial Hospital (East, Collierville Branches)
- Regional Medical Center at Memphis
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Memphis
- Baptist Surgery Center - Germantown
- Baptist Rehab - Germantown
- LeBonheur Children's Medical Center
- Methodist Hospital of Memphis
- Methodist Surgery Centers (Germantown)
- Memphis Surgery Center
This Fellowship is filled through the San Francisco Resident Matching Program. Instructions and deadlines can be found at American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS).
1211 Union Ave. Suite 520
Memphis, TN 38104
1211 Union Ave Suite 510
Memphis, TN 38104