Students' Frequently Asked Questions

What's happening with the ASP Dept in Knoxville?

Great things! The Department of Audiology and Speech Pathology (ASP) has undergone realignment. Our department has become a part of the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center (UTHSC) within the College of Health Professions as of July 1, 2009.

Where are the classes taught?

Although ASP is affiliated with the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center, we are physically housed on the UT-Knoxville campus and will remain there. All academic courses and clinical practicum originate in Knoxville. Students live and attend school in the Knoxville area.

As a student at UTHSC, do I have the same privileges as UT-Knoxville (UTK) students?

Students are eligible for all services offered to UTK students. They have access to a Vol Card, health services, library, parking, etc. on the UTK campus - just as if they were a registered student at UTK.

How do I apply to the department?

For the application process, please visit our homepage and choose the program in question.

What kind of degrees are offered by the ASP department?

Students graduating from the department of ASP will be granted a Master's of Science degree in Speech Pathology, an AuD (Clinical Doctorate in Audiology), or a PhD (Doctorate of Philosophy) in Speech and Hearing Sciences.

What about the undergraduate degree?

Undergraduate students have the opportunity to declare a major in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences with a concentration in Communication Disorders & Sciences. The courses are the same ones that were offered as part of the ASP undergraduate majors in Audiology & Speech Pathology and will prepare students for graduate admission.

How long will it take to complete my degree?

Typically, the AuD and PhD degrees are completed in 4 years. The M.S. program in SLP is 3 years long but, prior to enrollment in the graduate program, if you already have taken the majority of the courses required in the first year of the graduate program (See Sample Curriculum Models for SLP), you have the opportunity to waive the first 3 semesters of coursework and it will take you two years to complete your degree.

Can I take courses on-line?

The department is currently exploring the possibility of offering many of our undergraduate or 'leveling' courses through distance education.

How is financial aid handled?

Financial aid will be awarded through UTHSC.