Scholarships and Awards
- Academy of Dental Materials
- Academy of General Dentistry Award
- Academy of Operative Dentistry Award
- American Academy of Oral Medicine Award
- American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology Award
- American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology Award
- American Academy of Periodontology Award
- American Association of Endodontists Award
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Award
- American Association of Oral Biologists Award
- American Association of Orthodontics Award
- American Association of Women Dentists Award
- American College of Dentists Dean's Leadership Award
- American College of Prosthodontics Award
- American Society of Dentistry for Children Award
- American Student Dental Association's Award
- Certificate of Merit Awards
- Dean's Odontological Society
- Dental Faculty Awards
- Dentsply International Award
- Imhotep Society
- International College of Dentists Achievement Award
- Jack E. Wells Professional Achievement Award
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Awards
- Pediatric Dentistry Alumni Association Award
- Pierre Fauchard Academy Award
- Sidney S. Friedman, Sr. Periodontology Award
- Southeastern Academy of Prostodontics Award
- Teledyne-Water Pik Award for Excellence in Prosthodontics
- Tennessee Society of Pediatric Dentistry Award
- The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Student Service Award
These scholarships are available to students of the College of Dentistry on a competitive basis.
These scholarships are awarded to current students in the College of Dentistry and are not awarded to incoming, new D-1s.
NIDR Dental Student Research Fellowship
The award supported by the National Institute of Dental Research enables dental students, selected on a competitive basis, to engage in individualized research projects during the summer period. The maximum stipend is $2,502 for the period. Funds may also be available to defray the cost of travel for presentations at national meetings.
Cloogman Award for Dental Research
One student each year receives $400 and a plaque. Completed projects of students receiving Summer Research Fellowships are judged at the end of the summer. The recipient of the Cloogman Award is the winner of this competition.
Kenneth L. Frame Award
Two students receive $1,500 each and a plaque. A criterion for this award is demonstrated excellence in the restorative area.
James T. Andrews Scholarship
Currently, four students receive $2,000 each ($8,000 annually). Eligibility for this award is demonstrated outstanding ability in restorative dentistry and financial need.
Cecily W. Tipton Memorial Scholarships
Currently, five awards of $2,000 each ($10,000 annually) are given to Second, Third and Fourth year dental students. Students receiving these scholarships must have demonstrated academic excellence and financial need.
Two students each year receive $2,000 each plus trip expenses to attend the Hinman Meeting in Atlanta. Eligibility for this award is based upon outstanding academic performance and financial need.
Andy Holt Scholarship
The University of Tennessee Alumni Association awards an Andy Holt Scholarship to an incoming dental student. This award is a four-year award of $4,800 per year for a total award of $19,200.
Pierre Fauchard Academy Award
One student per year receives $1,400. This is awarded to a senior dental student who has demonstrated outstanding leadership abilities.
R. Malcolm Overbey Student Leadership Award
This $2,000 award is given to a student of the University of Tennessee College of Dentistry in recognition of exceptional leadership potential, scholastic achievement and personal and professional integrity.
In addition to the above scholarships that are solely for the College of Dentistry, dental students may also compete for the following scholarships:
- Robert N. Wilson, D.D.S. Scholarship: Two awards of $1,500 to graduating students that are married with at least one child and in the top third of the class.
- Winfield C. Dunn, D.D.S. Scholarship: Two awards of $1,500 to any student. Eligibility is based on scholastic, leadership and community involvement.
- Alumni Scholarship: Two awards of $2,500 to any dental student exhibiting scholastic ability, financial need, and community involvement.
- Doris Costello Bowyer Memorial Scholarship: The ASDA President receives a $1,000 award for leadership and participation in campus activities
- Weems Scholarship: Three deserving dental students receive $1,000 each for academic accomplishments.
- Russell O. and Fannie B. Ford Scholarship Award: One award of $1,000 to a deserving student for academic accomplishment and leadership
- F. Payne Hardison, D.D.S. and Mark F. Hardison, D.D.S. Scholarship Award: One award of $1,000 to a deserving student for scholastic and leadership ability
- Gerald R. Karr, D.D.S. Family Scholarship Award: One award of $1,000 to a deserving student for academic accomplishment