Skip to content


Adding Classes
Students may add courses through the last day of registration which always the day before classes begin. The last date that a student may add classes is published in the UTHSC Academic Calendar. Students may also see Registration Dates for a particular term. A student who attends class without officially registering or following the procedures for adding a class will not receive credit for that class. No student will be added to a course after the 14th calendar of classes. All class official start dates coincide with the Academic Calendar regardless of class meeting times and days. To add a class the student must complete an add/drop form with the assistance of an advisor or other designated UTHSC personnel, submit the form to Office of the Registrar with the appropriate signatures, and pay any additional fees required by the Bursar.

Dropping/Withdrawing Classes 
To drop a course during regular registration, see instructions for Online Registration

A student may officially drop or withdraw from a course within the prescribed time allowed by the College. The date on which the student drops or withdraws from a course impacts the amount of refund to which the student may be entitled. To drop or withdraw from a course as student will need to complete the appropriate form with an advisor or other designated UTHSC personnel and submit the form to the Office of the Registrar with the appropriate signatures.

View our Course Add/Drop Policy for more detailed information. 

Note: See Bursar's Office for more information on refunds.

Withdrawal from College:
When a student must withdraw from the College, a withdrawal workflow must be submitted by the student's College Dean to the Office of the Registrar for processing. The student must withdraw within the prescribed time period allowed by the individual College.

Unofficial Withdrawals:
When a student enrolls in a course and stops attending the class, the student is considered unofficially withdrawn. Faculty must report "no shows" and the last date of attendance for any student who has been determined to have stopped attending class. Students receiving Financial Aid and/or Veterans Educational Benefits may be required to repay such funds when classes are not properly attended.

View our Withdrawal Policy for more detailed information.

Name Change

In order to change your name on your records at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, complete the Request for Name Change on Official University Record form. Submit this form and any required supporting documents to the Office of the Registrar.

Students may submit name change requests in one of the following ways:

  • Fax to: 901.448.7700
  • In Person: 910 Madison, Suite 520 (A picture ID is required.)

The following are qualifying events and the documentation necessary in order to change of one's name:

  • Marriage - requires a copy of the marriage certificate
  • Divorce/Remove Married Name - requires a copy of court order or dissolution decree reflecting name change
  • Re-Marriage/Remove Previous Married Name and Add New Married Name - requires a copy of marriage license or copy of court order
  • Legal Name Change - requires a copy of court order
  • Remove or Abbreviate Middle Name
  • Hyphenate Last Name

Address Change
Students may view all of their addresses in Student Self Service.

Students may update all of their addresses, except Permanent address, in Self Service.

Students wishing to update their Permanent Address must contact the office of Enrollment Services. Permanent address changes are facilitated through the Registrar's Office within the Office of Enrollment Services. 


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that gives students certain rights with respect to their education records.

These rights include:

  • The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy rights under FERPA. A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student's right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day The University of Tennessee Health Science Center ("University") receives the student's request for access. To exercise this right, a student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. The University discloses education records without a student's prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using University employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks; or a contractor, consultant, volunteer, or other outside party to whom the University has outsourced University services or functions that would otherwise be performed by University employees, the party is under the direct control of the University with respect to the use and maintenance of education records, and the party is subject to the same conditions governing the use and redisclosure of education records that apply to other school officials. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities to the University. Upon request, the University also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of Tennessee at Martin to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: 
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-5901
  • The right to refuse to permit the disclosure of directory information except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. Directory information is information contained in a student's education record that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The University has designated the following as directory information: name, local address, local telephone number, major, class, college, dates of attendance, and degrees awarded.

FERPA permits the University to disclose directory information without a student's consent unless a student, prior to the second Friday after the first day of classes of the term in which the student is enrolled, notifies the Office of Enrollment Services in writing of his or her desire to restrict directory information from being published.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA") is a federal law that protects the privacy of information contained in students' education records. FERPA restricts the release of information contained students' education records and access to those records. Unauthorized disclosure of information from students' education records or unauthorized access to that information is a form of misconduct.

The University of Tennessee shall not disclose information contained in a student's education records to a third party without the student's written consent, except under certain limited conditions. Highly sensitive information includes students' social security numbers, race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, academic performance, disciplinary records, and grades. 
  • An "education record" is a record that is directly related to a student and is maintained by the University of Tennessee (or a party acting on the University's behalf). An education record can exist in any medium (e.g., e-mail, typewritten, handwritten, audiotape). Education records do not include "sole possession records," which are records kept in the sole possession of the maker, used as a personal memory aid, and not revealed to others (e.g., a faculty member's notes). Education records also do not include employment records, unless employment is conditional upon the individual being a student (e.g., graduate assistants' employment records are education records protected by FERPA).
  • A "student" is any person who is or has been in attendance at the University. For purposes of FERPA, a person becomes a student when the student has been admitted to the University and attends classes (either on-campus or distance learning). FERPA does not apply to records containing information created after the person is no longer a student if the information is not directly related to the individual's attendance as a student
  • "Written consent" means a printed document, voluntarily signed and dated by the student, that specifies the records to be disclosed, the purpose of the disclosure, and the party to whom the disclosure may be made. 

  • "Directory information" is limited to a student’s name, e-mail address (university-supplied), college, major field of study, graduate or undergraduate level, full-time or part-time status, dates of attendance, classification, degrees and awards received, and most recent previous educational institution attended. Neither a student’s social security number nor a student identification number is directory information.

Last Published: Apr 3, 2019