Health Insurance

All foreign nationals studying or employed at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center are required to have health insurance.

Health insurance coverage is mandated by the U.S. State Department for all J visa holders — this includes your J-2 spouse and children here in the U.S. with you. We need to see proof of insurance for both you and your dependents.

We strongly recommend that any F-2 dependents of international students also have health insurance, as treatment for any illness or accident in the U.S. is very expensive.

  • It is very important that both you and your dependents have health insurance coverage, because of the high cost of health care services in the U.S.
  • Make sure you have “medical evacuation and repatriation” coverage as part of your plan! This coverage is included in the UTHSC Student Insurance Plan.
  • If you look at other insurance policies, do not automatically choose the cheapest policy — look carefully to see what benefits are offered, how much the deductible and co-insurance/co-pay amounts are (these are amounts you must pay each time you have a claim), and if there are any maximum coverage amounts per covered procedure. If you know you will need prescriptions on a regular basis, this may be an important factor in your choice of insurance plan.

Information on UTHSC Health Insurance is available from University Health Services.

UTHSC campus 

Contact Us

Office of International Affairs
One Stop Student Services
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 105
Memphis, TN 38163

Phone: (901) 448-8484
Fax: (901) 448-1370

Hours of operation:
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., M-F