How To Make An Appointment for Student Mental Health

Persons who ask for help and develop support systems remain healthier

physically and emotionally, even in times of extreme stress.

If you would like to schedule an appointment for counseling, there are providers available through the Student Assistance Program (SAP) nationwide. There are some providers who see students at UHS. You can schedule an appointment by calling SAP at 1-800-327-2255 or call UHS at 901-448-5630.

UHS also has a full-time Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner on staff for urgent care and medication management. Systems are in place for care to students who need medication management while out of town, and also for urgent care while out of town or after hours.

University Health Services: 901-448-5630

You may leave a message on voice mail or send an e-mail. These are checked regularly during business hours and often after hours.


1. I think I might have ADD/ADHD, what can I do to get medication and/or accommodations?

Official testing is required. This battery of tests must be performed by a qualified mental health professional such as a Psychologist. It is imperative that you have the correct testing to ensure the most effective care.

We recommend the following options for testing. Students may be responsible for out-of-pocket expenses, but the student insurance plan covers this testing.

a). The SASSI sometimes has a University of Memphis student who performs the testing at no charge for UTHSC students. There may be a waiting list. You should call them for an appointment or additional information about testing.

Student Academic Support Services and Inclusion (SASSI): 901-448-5056

b). If you are on the student insurance plan, we have added coverage for the testing.  You will still be responsible for your deductible/co-pay. The following is an approved provider on the student plan.

David B. Goldstein, LPPHD
4646 Poplar Ave, Suite 413
Memphis, TN 38117
Phone:(901) 853-3910

c). If you are not on the student insurance plan and your insurance does not provide coverage for the testing, we recommend the University of Memphis. They will charge based on a sliding scale fee system. There will most likely be a waiting list.

University of Memphis: 901-678-2147

2. What if I was tested as a child or I was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD by my primary care provider?

You must be tested as an adult by a qualified mental health professional such as a Psychologist. The policy of University Health Services is to obtain the proper documentation before prescribing ADD/ADHD medication.

3. What if I have been tested and diagnosed with ADD/ADHD? How can I get medication and/or accommodations?

Contact University Health Services (UHS). We will schedule an appointment with a UHS mental health provider. You will be asked to provide the testing documentation. If you have been prescribed medication, you will need to provide medical records from the former prescriber. UHS has providers available Monday through Friday. University Health Services: 901-448-5630

4. How do I request my medication refills?

Once you are on a stable dose of medication, you are required to schedule follow-up appointments every three months. You can contact us for refills or to schedule your appointment. If you request by e-mail, you must document the medication, dosage, how you are doing on the medication, and how are your sleep and appetite in your e-mail.


5. I think I may need a quiet environment or a private testing room because of my ADD/ADHD. How do I request this?

This diagnosis is considered a disability, so you can qualify to receive accommodations (disability services). Your mental health provider at UHS can help you determine what accommodations you might need. UHS will process the required paperwork and forward to the SASSI. You will be asked to sign a consent to release form between UHS and SASSI. See the SASSI website regarding disability services.

6. Why are there such strict guidelines about ADD/ADHD?

Most medications prescribed for ADD/ADHD are controlled substances, strictly regulated by state and federal law because of their potential for misuse, abuse and diversion. When prescribing controlled drugs on a regular basis, we must follow state laws regarding prescribing controlled substances. Our clinic policy is designed to protect your ability to access controlled substances and our ability to prescribe for you.

When receiving prescriptions for controlled drugs, you'll be required to sign a Controlled Substances Contract for UHS.

7. What if I'm not on the Memphis campus, can I still get my medication?

As long as you are in Tennessee, we can mail your prescriptions once you become an established patient here at UHS. You'll be required to make follow up med check appointments every three months either by phone or Telepsych.

8. I'm an employee or resident and only need medication, can UHS manage my medicine for ADD/ADHD?

The answer is yes, but you must show proof of being tested as an adult. Check with your insurance company for coverage of the testing. If your insurance does not provide coverage, we recommend scheduling an appointment with the University of Memphis. They provide testing at a discounted rate.

The mental health providers at UHS will soon be credentialed with Cigna and BlueCross BlueShield. Until this paperwork is finalized, employees and residents are able to see the mental health providers at a cash discounted rate of $50 to manage your medications.



If you are a UTHSC student or employee, you may now schedule appointments, exchange messages with UHS staff, complete forms or surveys, check your financial account summary, or review/print immunizations through a secure online web-based portal using your NetID and password! You can also call (901) 448-5630 to schedule an appointment. An after hours on call providers are available to you by calling (901) 541-5654.


Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (close daily between 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.)


910 Madison, 9th floor

Contact Us

University Health Services
910 Madison Ave. Suite 922
Memphis, Tennessee 38163
Phone: 901-448-5630
Fax: 901-448-7255

Contact Us