Medical and Mental Health for Students at Other Locations
For ALL students, on or off the UT Health Science Center (UTHSC) campus, a University Health Services (UHS) on-call provider is available 24/7 for any urgent issue (medical or behavioral health). The number to call is 901-541-5654. If you are having an emergency, call 911 to access immediate help in your area. To reach a provider at UHS, Monday-Friday, 8:00-4:30, call 901-448-5630.
If you need to speak to someone regarding any mental health concern, on or off campus, call the Student Assistance Program (SAP) at 1-800-327-2255, option 3. They can refer you to a counselor for face-to-face appointments (or by telephone if you choose). There are providers available nation-wide. They can also assist with any emergency. SAP services are available at no cost to you.
Click on this link for additional emergency information - uthsc.edu/univheal/emergencies.php
Students who need behavioral health medication management or urgent behavioral health care after 4:30 p.m. while in communities other than Memphis can access telepsychiatry services provided by a UHS Psychiatrist. For urgent telepsychiatry services, call 901-541-5654 to reach the UHS provider on-call. These services are at no cost to you.
For questions or information about any of these services, students may contact Christa Deiss at 901-448-5064.
If you are on the United Student Insurance plan, another resource is the 24/7 Nurse Hotline.
The number is 877-643-5130 PIN: 211.
Some students pursuing their degrees in Knoxville pay student health fees allowing them direct access to student services offered at the University of Tennessee - Knoxville (UTK). For students enrolled in one of the audiology and speech pathology programs, or the pharmacy program and located in Knoxville, no additional actions are needed with respect to gaining access to student services on the UTK campus once fees are paid to the UTHSC.
For ALL UTHSC Students in Knoxville
- You may be seen by a UTK provider at no cost to you. There are, however, additional charges for immunizations, physical therapy, x-ray, laboratory tests, etc. that YOU are responsible for. UTK Student Health cannot file claims with your insurance carrier but will bill UTHSC directly on your behalf. UTHSC will bill you for those services, but you may submit an itemized receipt (available from UTK Student Health) for possible reimbursement from your insurance company.
- If needed, the contact person is James "Jim" Boyle, Director of Student Health Services at (865) 974-2253.
- Students are to contact Christa at 901-448-5064 if they encounter any problems with this arrangement.
For MEDICAL STUDENTS located in Knoxville
For medical students located in Knoxville, the following arrangements have been made for those needing care while in Knoxville:
- Students may go to the UTK Student Health Service for medical care and/or behavioral health care.
- They are to state that they are a UTHSC student and any fee should be billed to UT Health Science Center.
This Program and Services fee includes medical and behavioral health services. Students should be aware that the services covered by the health fee may be different from UTHSC.
- The UTK Student Health Service website
- UTK Student Health Services - 865-974-3648
- UTK Counseling Center - 865-974-2251
You can remit payment for services in Knoxville by logging into your account in UTHSC Banner-Self Service Account.
- Go to: Banner Self-Service
- Enter Your Net ID and Password.
- At the Main Menu, click on Student.
- On the Student menu, click on Student Account.
- Click on Account Summary.
- Next, click on Pay Your Fees.
- Click on Make a Payment under Quick View or select the Option of your choice and follow the instructions.
Please Note: Payment can be made from the billing site with a Web Check, Discover, MasterCard or American Express. A non-refundable 2.75% service fee will apply to the credit card payments.
For more information on what to do for a distressed student in Knoxville, go to helping distressed students.
For students located in Nashville for a limited amount of time, special arrangements have been made to provide access to the Vanderbilt Student Health Center for medical care and urgent behavioral health care. Most services are at no cost, but please be aware that the services at Vanderbilt may be different from UTHSC and you may be responsible for some fees related to your visits. Contact the Vanderbilt Student Health Center for an appointment at 615-322-2427. For behavioral health counseling, it is recommended that students contact SAP (at the above number).
- If you encounter any problems while at Vanderbilt, you may contact Jennifer Swails at 615-343-4083.
- You can also contact Christa Deiss on the UT Health Science Center campus at 901-448-5064.
- The Vanderbilt Student Center website is vanderbilt.edu/student_health.
Students in Chattanooga may access the UTC University Health Services for medical care and/or behavioral health care. The services received there are not covered under any student health fees. All services are filed on your insurance. Students are responsible for bringing the required paperwork (from their website) and their insurance card at the time of their visit. They do file insurance for each appointment as a courtesy, but you are responsible for any fees related to your visit. Cash pay discounts are also available, but payment is expected at the time of service. If you cannot pay at the time of your visit, payment arrangements can be made. NO student is turned away for lack of payment. You are able to receive behavioral health counseling at no charge to you through the Student Assistance Program (see above).
- If needed, the contact person is Henrietta Gilbert, UHS Medical Office Supervisor at 423-778-9378.
- Students may also contact the UTC UHS campus representative, Nancy Badger at 423-425-5329 if you encounter any problems with this arrangement.
- If there are still unresolved issues, students may contact Christa Deiss, UT Health Science Center, UHS, at 901-448-5064.
UTC University Health Services website: utc.edu/administration/universityhealthservices
Appointment Desk: 423-778-9303
Nurse Line: 423-778-9336
UTC Counseling and Personal Development: 423-425-4438
For information on what to do for a distressed student in Chattanooga, select this link: helping distressed students.
Information about what to do in case of various emergencies.
910 Madison Ave. Suite 922
Memphis, Tennessee 38163