What is the Employee Evaluation?
The Employee Evaluation is performed by University Health Services to ensure that all employees who are working in the animal care area or campus police have the appropriate immunizations and screenings. This evaluation is based on requirements stated in both UTHSC Policies and the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA).
Infection Control Policies require that all UTHSC faculty, staff and housestaff at risk for exposure to infectious diseases do the following:
- Provide written documentation of two tuberculin skin test results during the 12 months prior to beginning practice, one of which needs to be within the past 3 months. If previous tuberculin skin test result is positive, documentation of chest x-ray within the past 6 months is needed and clearance from the Memphis/Shelby County Health Department is required. Thereafter, a tuberculin skin test is required annually for all negative reactors.
- Provide proof of varicella (chickenpox) immunity via a blood titer or history.
- If born on or after January 1, 1957, provide proof of two immunizations for measles at least one month apart or immunity via a blood titer. (Persons born before this date are considered immune to measles)
- Provide proof of one immunization for rubella or immunity via a blood titer
- Provide proof of one immunization for mumps or immunity via a blood titer
- For those who may be exposed to blood, body fluid or human tissue, the Hepatitis B vaccine is strongly encouraged and provided by the University, and the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA)-mandated educational materials are provided. Employees who choose to decline these services must sign a declination statement to that effect.
Who needs a New Employee Evaluation?
All employees at risk for blood borne pathogens are required to participate in the new employee evaluation and training for OHSA. Training and risk assessment is required within 2 weeks of employment and documentation is provided. Personal protective equipment is provided by the university.
When do you need to have this done?
This evaluation should occur within two weeks after hire.
Where are these evaluations done? The new employee training is found in the Exposure Control Plan on the UTHSC webpage and forms should be completed and reviewed by the supervisor. Immunizations will be provided at UHS.
What do I need to bring with me?
Bring to your appointment all records of previous immunizations, laboratory results of any titers (chicken pox, measles, rubella) you may have had previously, and TB skin test results. You can also have your health care provider fill out our immunization form (Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher).
A part of the above webpage was taken from:
If you are a UTHSC student or employee (coming soon for BCHS students), you may now schedule appointments, exchange messages with UHS staff, complete forms or surveys, check your financial account summary, or review/print immunizations through a secure online web-based portal using your NetID and password!
University Health Services
910 Madison Ave. Suite 922
Memphis, Tennessee 38163