Student Voter Registration Information
To have a voice is to vote - in every election!
We encourage UTHSC students to participate in state and federal elections. Elections provide a voice in state and national politics.
The Higher Education Act (HEA) requires colleges and universities to provide students with voter registration materials.
The Shelby County Election Commission provides voting procedure information for county residents.
After you've registered to vote either in person or by mail, you will receive a voter registration card in the mail. Your voting precinct and districts are listed on the card. At this point, early voting and absentee voting will be available.
Who Can Vote
You must be:
- a citizen of the United States 18 years of age or older before the date of the next election
- properly registered no later than thirty (30) days before the election
- a resident of Tennessee (view Guidelines for Determining Residency - there are special considerations for Homeless Persons Residency and Non-resident Property Owners)
Those convicted of a felony cannot vote unless you have had your full rights of citizenship restored or you must have received a pardon.
Register to Vote
- Any public library;
- Many designated government offices
- Any motor vehicle office when applying for a driver's license
- Shelby County Election Commission (150 Washington Ave, Memphis, TN 38103)
- Elections Operations Center (980 Nixon Dr., Memphis, TN 38134)
You may also register to vote by mail by completing the Mail-In Application for Voter Registration. This form may also be obtained at libraries, post offices, the Shelby County Election Commission; and/or some city/county government offices.
If you register by mail, you must vote in person the first time you vote.
You can find your local voting site by visiting the Shelby County Elections Commission website’s Precinct Locator.
Election Centers Close to the UTHSC Campus
NOTE: There are NO voting locations on the University of Tennessee Health Science Center campus.
Shelby County Election Commission
157 Poplar Ave., Suite 121
Memphis, TN 38103
Bellevue Middle School
575 S Bellevue Blvd
Memphis, TN 38104
UTHSC and Higher Education Act (HEA)
In compliance with Title IV and other Federal and State disclosure laws, students may link to the UTHSC Student Right To Know Consumer Information webpage.
For questions about the UTHSC Student Right To Know Consumer Information website, please contact:
Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
Memphis, TN 38163