Responsibilities of the Faculty
Faculty and Staff have the Responsibilities to:
- Include a statement on syllabi to inform students with disabilities how to access accommodations on campus through SASS.
- Maintain the same academic standards for all students as with appropriate accommodations students with disabilities should be expected to perform at the same academic proficiency levels as their non-disabled peers.
- Work cooperatively with the students and SASS in providing accommodations only when an approved accommodations notification from a SASS staff member has been received by the collegeís Academic Deanís office.
- Ensure that students receive the needed accommodations without undue complications.
- Provide, in a timely fashion, test materials SASS.
- Respect the studentís right to privacy; keep disability-related information confidential. Students with disabilities are protected under FERPA and the civil rights law. At no time should faculty and staff make any statements or implications that the student with a disability is any different from the general student population.
- Remember that the student has the right not to discuss the particulars of his/her disability except on a need-to-know basis.
- Contact SASS immediately in the event problems occur.
- Be aware that further accommodations/arrangements may be made at a later time by a member of the SASS staff.
8 S. Dunlap GEB, Rm BB9
Memphis, TN 38163