We do not have on site call, but with supervision by our faculty, fellows participate in an on call rotation that provides after hour and weekend coverage to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital, Lakeside Hospital, and for their outpatients.
We work closely with the fellows and the University of Tennessee Graduate Medical Education office to monitor fatigue, duty hours and to maintain an optimal learning environment.
As part of your training in child and adolescent psychiatry you will be on call for Lakeside and Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital.
- Lakeside fellow on every Tuesday (weekday call), backed up by faculty.
- Lakeside fellow on call 1 weekend/ month (Fri 5pm- Sunday 5 pm), with faculty.
- Call Calendar made by Lakeside.
- If for any reason you are not able to do that weekend, please obtain fellow coverage.
- When on call, you take home-call and when on weekend call, you will round with attending maintaining supervision guidelines (level 2 for new and level 4 for follow up).
- Weekend call starts Friday at 5 pm and runs until Sunday at 5 pm.
- New patient work up with Level 2 attending supervision is very important.
- Lakeside attendings are aware of levels of supervision, please let me know if you have any questions.
- Phone calls, access attending with any discharges/any questions about patients that are presented to you by Lakeside Assessment Center
- At the beginning of weekend, obtain hand-out , check with attending on call, and be prepared to round at Lakeside.
Le Bonheur calls will be from consult service emergencies and after hour triage.
- Call will be divided amongst other 3 fellows and supervision will be by UTHSC faculty on the call schedule.
- Holidays on rotation with fellow
- Weekend consults at Le Bonheur - we try to work with the teams to make this only emergent consults, this is Level 4 supervisio.
- Be prepared to treat weekday holiday as a regular day with new patients, and follow ups at Lakeside and be available for Le Bonheur consults.
Log in hours and notify Leigh Ann Barns at 901-448-2302 if this is reaching any duty hour violation.
Seniors – with junior input responsible for call schedule.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Boling Center for Developmental Disabilities
711 Jefferson Ave., Suite 178
Memphis, Tennessee 38105
Jyotsna Ranga, M.D.
Leigh Ann Barns
**Photos Courtesy of Drs. Jack Gills and Ethel Cobbett**