Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship
The Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship program at UTHSC is the only fellowship program within the state of Tennessee. The overall goal of the program is to develop clinician-scientists who are prepared to conduct research, teach and provide high-quality sub-specialty care. Our three-year program is based within the College of Medicine's Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, serving Regional One Health, Le Bonheur Fetal Center, and the Center for High-Risk Pregnancies at Baptist Women's Hospital, all located within the tri-state area of Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi.
The Memphis tri-state area provides unique opportunities for fellows. Our program offers a wide-range of experiences due to the nature of our patient population, faculty, and services provided. We have a high frequency of maternal medical complications of pregnancy in this region of the country. These women are managed by the MFM attending on our maternal special care unit within labor and delivery. When patients require ventilatory support during their pregnancy, they are transferred to the intensive care unit and are co-managed with other sub-specialists. Fellows will acquire breadth and depth in their clinical experiences for the management of these complicated pregnancies.
The overall goals for our fellowship program are to:
- Provide opportunities for structured basic laboratory and/or clinical research and develop additional clinical skills.
- Enhance the fellow's understanding of the latest scientific techniques and encourage interaction with other scientists.
- Promote the fellow's academic contributions to the subspecialty.
- Provide opportunities for the fellow to obtain research funding and academic positions.
- Further the ability of the fellow to be an independent researcher.
Clinical Rotation Goals
For each clinical rotation, the goal is to train an individual in an environment conducive to supporting the fellow to:
- Become a consultant to generalists for women with complicated pregnancies.
- Acquire an evidence-based approach to the care of complicated pregnancies.
- Become facile in the conduct and evaluation of research.
- Have expertise in obstetric ultrasound.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship Program
853 Jefferson Avenue,
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-2531
Fax: (901) 448-4701
Giancarlo Mari, MD, MBA
Chair of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Julienne Watkins, MPA
Phone: (901) 448-1053
Fax: (901) 448-4701