Doctor of Nursing Practice
About the DNP
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program is a full-time, program of study mostly for individuals holding a professional entry (BSN or MSN-CNL) degree or post MSN advanced practice degree. There are two semesters lasting 20 weeks and a shorter summer semester that some concentrations, or options require students to attend. Students are required to be on campus three times yearly for a week. A student's first two terms consist primarily of core courses, and the last two or more terms focus on courses in the student's option, as well as a resident practicum and a resident project. Resident work is arranged by the student in conjunction with a UTHSC faculty member, and students typically complete the residency requirement in the area they currently live. The length of the program depends on the student's qualifications and area of concentration. For example, the program length for a student entering with a BSN or MSN-CNL will take a minimum of 3 years to complete. The program length for a student entering with a MSN with a nurse practitioner certification will take a minimum 2 years to complete. The program has no dissertation requirement and is not available as a part-time program.
- Web-enhanced (primarily online, with required on-campus component).
- Designed to offer students flexibility in determining their own living arrangements, schedule of study, and timing of engagement in coursework.
- Students are required to be on campus three times yearly.
- Each on-campus time is typically one week (Monday-Friday).
- On-campus time is for face-to-face meetings, classes, exams, seminars, discussion groups, etc.
- On-campus schedules will vary from term to term depending on classes and option.
The UTHSC College of Nursing is a member of the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) Electronic Campus for distance education courses, programs and services offered through many institutions of higher education in the southeastern United States.
Jamie Overton, M.A.Ed.
Student Affairs, Senior Coordinator
920 Madison, #1021
Memphis, TN 38163
Student Affairs - Admin Coordinator
920 Madison, #1020
Memphis, TN 38163