Windows 2000/XP IP Registration and Revalidation
For Windows 2000/XP the process consists of two steps. Steps 1-11 involve going through a Security Tool which installs the latest version of McAfee on your system as well as certain Microsoft Windows patches. The security tool is a mandatory process for machines running Windows 2000 and XP and is meant to not only protect UTHSC's network, but also your computer. NOTE: These instructions are based on using Internet Explorer, if you are using a different browser then the process may differ slightly in some places.
After restarting your computer you will need to complete steps 12-15. These steps are where the actual registration occurs. When the second set of steps are complete, your machine will be registered with our campus, and you will be able to use the resources on our network. If you have any questions, please call the Helpdesk at 448-2222.
1. Go to https://ipreg.uthsc.edu and click the 'Continue' button.
2. Read the warnings and instructions explaining the process. The main thing to adhere to is to make sure that you don't run the process with antivirus software other than the McAfee product that is provided by the University of Tennessee. Doing so may cause damage your system. Click on the link at the bottom to continue with the process.
3. Enter your NetID and NetID password. What is my NetID?
4. Once again read the warnings, installing this product without prior removal of any antivirus software, other than the McAfee that UTHSC provides, could severely damage your machine.
5. Click on the 'I understand and agree to the above information' to continue.
6. Click 'Run this program from it current location' or 'Open' in Internet Explorer, or for any other browser, download the file to your desktop and then double click the file to run it.
7. If you get a security warning, click 'Yes' to continue.
8. The Security Tool will now begin to run. Please read all the information and click 'Next' to continue.
9. Read the steps that the Security Tool will complete while running on your machine. Click 'Continue.'
10. After clicking continue in the previous step, the program will then begin to execute. This is the portion of the process that will take the longest amount of time. Depending on the speed of the machine it may take anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour. DO NOT STOP THE PROCESS ONCE IT STARTS OR YOUR SYSTEM WILL LIKELY BE RENDERED UNUSABLE. After it finishes you will see the screen below. Click 'Finish.'
11. Click 'OK' and allow the machine to reboot. You are now finished with the first portion of the process. Once the machine turns back on, continue with the next step.
12. Go back to https://ipreg.uthsc.edu and read the Terms of Service and click the 'I Agree' button.
13. Log in with your NetID and NetID password. What is my NetID?
14. Fill out the information on the form. You must fill out all the information to continue. When finished filling out the form, click on the 'Update' button to continue.
15. Click on the Exit button to finish the process. Should you run into any problems accessing the network after clicking on the Exit button, restart the computer. Should your problem persist, call the Helpdesk at 448-2222