Online MLT to MLS Program
Program requirements and prerequisites to be considered for admission:
- Graduation from a NAACLS accredited MLT program with an Associate of Science Degree or an Associate of Applied Science Degree.
- Three letters of recommendation including a letter of support from your laboratory manager.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Sufficient college level course work to total a minimum of 84 semester hours with a C or higher in MLT and prerequisite courses.
- National certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist.
- Among the 84 semester hours, coursework must include:
|REQUIRED COURSES||SEMESTER HOURS
(not quarter hours)
|General Chemistry with Lab*||8|
|Organic Chemistry I with Lab*||4|
|Organic Chemistry II with Lab or Biochemistry with Lab*||4|
|Human Physiology or Anatomy and Physiology*||4|
|Microbiology with Lab*||4|
|College Algebra/Statistics/or Higher Math*||3|
The University of Tennessee requires all graduates to have completed one year of American History, 6 semester hours. Most students fulfill this requirement if they attended a high school in the USA.
The University of Tennessee requires successful completion of 120 semester hours to receive a B.S. degree. This requirement will be met by completing an additional 36 hours of Medical Laboratory Science courses through the University of Tennessee Health Science Center. See the semester breakdown on the MLT to MLS Curriculum page. Students will graduate with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Laboratory Science.
Graduates will be eligible to take the ASCP Board of Certification Examination and apply for a license in the state of Tennessee as a Medical Laboratory Scientist. If you plan to work in any of Tennessee′s licensed clinical laboratories, medical scientists must hold a state license in order to be employed.
The above courses are REQUIRED by the Tennessee Medical Laboratory Board* to be licensed as a Medical Laboratory Scientist. These courses also meet the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science, and the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification requirements.
ASCP Procedures for Examination and Certification
*Rules of the Tennessee Department of Health General Rules Governing Medical Laboratory
Personnel Rule 1200-06-01-.22(g)
Department of Clinical Lab Sciences
930 Madison - Suite 664
Memphis, Tennessee 38163