Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Why Monitor Academic Progress?

Federal Regulations require that students that receive Title IV Aid must be monitored for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Title IV Aid includes the following programs:

  • Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
  • Federal Graduate PLUS Loans
  • Federal Parent PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work Study (FWS)
  • Federal Perkins Loan

Satisfactory Academic Progress will be reviewed at the end of each semester (including summer).

How is Progress Measured?

Satisfactory Academic Progress determination will be based on the following:

Qualitative Progress

  • Maintain the published academic minimum grade point average (GPA) required to maintain eligibility for continued enrollment in your academic program.

Quantitative Progress

  • Successfully completing at least 67% of hours attempted each semester.

Attempted Hours include:

  • Repeat Hours
  • Pass/Fail Hours
  • Incomplete Hours
  • Withdrawn Hours
  • Transfer Hours
  • All hours regardless of whether a student received Financial Aid

Student Eligibility

  • Students must be admitted and enrolled in a Degree Program.
  • Must complete at least 67% of hours attempted and maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA each semester.
  • Undergraduate students may not exceed 150% of the published length of their academic program.
  • Graduate students are considered eligible for financial aid as long as they are meeting the academic requirements set forth by the Graduate School to complete their degree.

Additional Eligibility Information

Incomplete Coursework

Incomplete Coursework will be evaluated as a failing grade until the course has been satisfactorily completed.

  • Incomplete coursework must be completed by the end of the next semester.
    • If incomplete coursework cannot be completed within the allotted timeframe, a written explanation must be provided that is accepted by the Financial Aid Appeal Committee.
    • Submit your explanation with all documentation to the Financial Aid Office which is located in the Madison 910 Building, Suite 520.

Students Pursuing a Second Degree

  • Must submit a Degree Completion Plan signed by the student as well as the Academic Advisor for their Degree Program. The Plan must indicate the courses required as well as the timeframe to complete the additional degree.
  • If the student has attempted the maximum number of semesters or if their Degree Completion Plan will cause them to exceed that limit, they may be denied financial aid.

Failure to meet SAP requirements

  • All students that fail to meet SAP requirements will notified via their UTHSC email.
    • Failure to receive notification does not dispute or reverse the termination of a student’s eligibility to receive Financial Aid.
  • Students that do not meet GPA requirements will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for their next semester of enrollment.
    • If a student has attempted 60 or more hours and a cumulative GPA below 2.0, they will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension.
  • Students that do not successfully complete 67% of their attempted coursework will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for their next semester of enrollment.
  • If at any point it is clear that a student will not be able to complete their degree within the allotted timeframe, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension.

Financial Aid Warning

  • Students placed on Financial Aid Warning must successfully complete all hours for which they are registered with at least a 2.0 GPA.
  • Students receiving a grade of F, W, I, or a GPA less than 2.0 while on financial aid warning will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension.

Financial Aid Suspension

Students placed on Financial Aid Suspension are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid. To regain eligibility there are two options:

  • The student must successfully complete hours on their own, without federal financial aid, to improve their academic record to meet SAP requirements.
    • Once the student has brought their academic record back in line with the SAP policy, they will need to submit an appeal.
    • Submit your appeal with all documentation to the Financial Aid Office which is located in the Madison 910 Building, Suite 520.
  • Students will need to submit an appeal to have their eligibility restored if their academic performance was effected by extenuating circumstances.

Submitting an Appeal

  • Students who have been denied access to financial aid can appeal this decision in writing to the Director of Financial Aid; the basis for the appeal should be specified and the student is encouraged to provide any additional information (e.g. emancipated status of the student; changes in parental custody of financial situations, etc.) that might have been unavailable/overlooked by the office. The Director will review the appeal and make a determination based on the additional information and guided by federal/state laws regarding loan eligibility. Students are also denied financial aid when they no longer meet the requirements for satisfactory academic progress.
  • If he/she does not meet the minimum requirements for satisfactory academic progress as defined by his/her academic program such that they are subject to dismissal or probation, the student may lose his her eligibility for financial aid as well as for continuation in their academic program.
  • The college provides an appeal process to review extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to the poor academic performance (appeal procedures are available on college web sites and in the UTHSC academic catalog) and to assess the possibility of successful remediation.
  • The financial aid office also provides an appeal process for restoring student eligibility for Title IV financial aid.
    • To file an aid appeal, students must submit a letter to the Office of Financial Aid explaining why they failed to make academic progress, as well as an explanation of what has changed in their circumstances that will allow them to make satisfactory academic progress by the end of the next semester.
      Download SAP Letter Template  Microsoft Word link icon
    • Submit your appeal with all documentation to the Financial Aid Office which is located in the Madison 910 Building, Suite 520.
    • In addition, the student must provide a copy of the approved Academic Plan from his/her college that describes the specific steps the student will take to achieve satisfactory academic progress status during the next term.
    • The Financial Aid Office, working with a subcommittee appointed for this purpose, will consider the appeal; representatives from the college may be consulted as part of the appeal.
    • Submit your appeal with all documentation to the Financial Aid Office:
      Financial Aid Director (Appeals)
      Financial Aid Office
      910 Madison Building, Suite 520,
      Memphis TN 38163

Checking the Status of an Appeal

The student is notified of the decision via the student’s university assigned email address. Neither the committee nor the financial aid staff will give appeal results over the phone. Questions related to the policy, process, and outcomes of an aid appeal should be directed to the student’s Financial Aid Counselor.

Scholarship Appeals

Please note that the above appeal process is for Federal Financial Aid only. Questions regarding UTHSC’s SAP policy should be directed to your Financial Aid Counselor.

UT courtyard w flowers

Legal Information

Contact Us

910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
Memphis, TN 38163
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
(901) 448-5568