Dr. Jablonski Named Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs

Dr. Jablonski Dr. Jablonski at work in her laboratory with members of her vision research team.

Among her responsibilities in this position, Dr. Jablonski will attract strong candidates by promoting the university's programs, insure an optimal working environment for postdocs, assist mentors to help cultivate postdoc career development, and foster collegiality among postdocs. "Only about 20 percent of U.S.-trained postdocs are able to secure academic faculty positions," Dr. Jablonski notes, "So what do the other 80 percent do? To help our postdocs make informed decisions, we will bring in guest speakers to educate postdocs regarding other career paths, whether in business, a pharmaceutical company, an emerging biotech company, working in research administration or for a journal…. It's a relatively new way of working with postdocs to help them navigate toward their future occupations."

Dr. Jablonski was selected for this position from among eight outstanding applicants by a committee of faculty and members of the UTHSC Postdoctoral Association. "It is truly an honor to have been selected as the associate dean of Postdoctoral Affairs," says Dr. Jablonski. "I am very excited about my new role in the Graduate School and working with our postdoctoral trainees. This group is the next generation of scientists, and I look forward to working with them to strengthen our research program at UTHSC and expose them to the many professions in which they can use their training to flourish in their future careers."

"We are very excited about one of our outstanding researchers being chosen to foster the postdoctoral research program across the entire university," adds James C. Fleming, MD, FACS, Philip M. Lewis Professor and chair of Ophthalmology. "I am confident Dr. Jablonski will prove to be an enormous asset to UTHSC in this role."