ExamSoft for Students
The ExamSoft suite offers secure examinations administration via the SofTest application. Read below to find out more.
- Some colleges and programs have their students test exclusively in UTHSC computer labs while other programs allow students to test using their personal laptops in campus classrooms. Students enrolled in lab-only testing programs should not install ExamSoft on their personal computers and will not have access to the installation files from the ExamSoft student portal.
- Currently, UTHSC is supporting students in select programs using ExamSoft on student-owned laptops and tablets (such as the Microsoft Surface) that market themselves as laptop replacement tablets. Although an iPad app is available, we have not currently deployed the ExamSoft iPad app at UTHSC. After we have experienced an extended period of success with deploying ExamSoft on student-owned laptops, we may consider introducing the iPad app to the UTHSC ExamSoft testing community.
- For students who have ExamSoft installed on their personal laptops:
- We recommend taking at least one mock exam on your computer after installing the software for the first time or reinstalling it.
- We also recommend taking a mock exam the day before each exam to ensure the software is still running properly on your computer. If you run into issues, please contact the EdTech ExamSoft support team for help.
- If your program gives you access to download the exam file earlier, we recommend downloading the exam as soon as possible and well before your arrival to the testing site on exam day. This will save time before the start of the exam and make you less reliant on wireless network connectivity at the start of the exam.
- Please plan to arrive to the testing site at least 15 minutes prior to the test start time to give yourself time to check-in with the proctor, choose a seat, plug-in and power up your laptop, close any open applications, start SofTest, and wait for the proctor to share the exam password with your class.
- Arrive to the testing site with your battery fully charged. Also, bring your laptop charger with you and plug it in at the start of the exam so you don't have to be bothered with monitoring your battery life throughout the exam. ExamSoft locks your computer down and closes all other applications. Your battery life indicator may not be visible during the exam. Thus, leaving your laptop plugged in throughout the exam is recommended as a best practice to ensure you do not lose power and possibly any submitted answers due to power failure.
- Please plan to leave you cell phone, books, bags, and all other personal property outside of the testing area.
- Please do not leave the testing site without receiving the green checkmark, the indicator that your exam file has been successfully submitted to the server. Otherwise, your exam results may not be accessible by your program and you may not receive credit for your work.
- In case of emergency, power down your computer by pressing and holding the power button until the computer screen goes black and the machine is visibly turned off. Upon your return, turn the machine back on. Allow the computer to restart without interfering with the booting process. The computer will automatically reopen ExamSoft and take you to the point in the exam where you were before the power down. The answers you previously submitted (with the exception of maybe the last 1 or 2 answers) along with your remaining time will be preserved.