Hinman Student Research Symposium
November 3 - 5, 2017
The Hinman Student Research Symposium is a national meeting that features oral and poster presentations of research studies by dental students and graduate trainees from dental schools across North America. The program consists of a welcoming banquet with a nationally known speaker, scientific sessions with awards for the best presentations, and opportunities for getting acquainted and touring the host city. The Symposium is held at the historic Peabody Hotel in downtown Memphis, Tennessee.
To facilitate participation of students from dental schools across North America, one travel award is made to a student from each institution to partially defray costs of attending the Symposium. Additional students from each institution are invited to attend with travel support from their institution. A limited number of research mentors are also invited. Food, housing, and entertainment are provided at no cost to participants.
The goal of the Hinman Student Research Symposium is to help raise and maintain the quality of dental research and education in the U.S. by encouraging participation of dental students, graduate trainees, and dental school faculty in research to improve oral health care.
Aims of the Symposium are to:
- Recognize, encourage, and reward student achievements in dental research.
- Provide students with the educational experience of preparing a research presentation and presenting to an audience of their peers.
- Facilitate learning about new directions in dental research and the many different areas of current research interest.
- Promote interactions among outstanding students from across North America.
- Encourage outstanding students to consider careers in dental research and education.
- Inform students about opportunities for advanced training in research and programs to support training.
- Increase the awareness of students entering the dental profession of the methods, scope, and importance of dental research.
The Symposium is co-sponsored by the Hinman Dental Society and the University of Tennessee College of Dentistry, with the support of the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, the ADEAGies Foundation, the Procter & Gamble Company, and the Tennessee Dental Association Foundation.
Hinman Research Symposium
711 Jefferson Avenue
429 Boling Center
Memphis, Tennessee 38163