Skip to content

Sexual Assault

The definition of sexual assault includes rape, fondling, exposure to or forced participation in pornography, exhibitionism, and attempted rapes.

What To Do If You Have Been Sexually Assaulted

  1. Go to a safe place and seek campus assistance through:
    1. University Health (448-5630) or after 5:00 p.m. (541-5654)
    2. Student Mental Health (448-6403) or after 5:00 p.m. (579-4731) 
    3. Campus Police (448-4444)  
    4. Memphis Sexual Assault Resource Center (MSARC) (272-2020)
    5. Memphis Police Department (911)
  2. Do NOT take a shower, douche or change clothes.
  3. You must make an informed decision of whether or not to report the sexual assault.
    1. CONS - If you report a sexual assault to campus administration, UT Police or the Memphis Police Department, such a report will become public record.
    2. PROS - If you decide to report a sexual assault, this will
      1. allow the police to assist you in obtaining medical services.
      2. assure you immediate safety.
      3. allow the police to pursue the perpetrator more efficiently.
      4. allow police to gather physical evidence from the assault.
      5. provide increased security for others on campus.

Reporting an incident is a separate step from choosing to prosecute. When you file a report, you are not obligated to continue with legal proceedings or university disciplinary action.

If you decide not to report the incident police, several options are available to meet your medical and emotional needs:

  • University Health Services can be of service by calling 448-5630 (day time) or 579-4731 (evening/weekends).
  • Student Mental Health at 448-6403 (daytime) or 579-4731 (evenings/weekends).
  • Memphis Sexual Assault Resource Center (MSARC) at 272-2020 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Or, you may choose to consult a private physician or go to an emergency department of your choice. However, emergency departments are required to report aggravated assaults. An aggravated assault is defined as a sexual assault which involves a weapon.

If You Choose To Report A Sexual Assault

Call UTHSC Police who will assist in providing security for you, will contact Student Mental Health, and make arrangements for you to be seen at the MSARC.

A sexual assault victim should seek medical treatment and/or counseling to:

  • minimize emotional and physical trauma
  • facilitate collection of evidence
  • test for sexually transmitted diseases
  • obtain treatment of possible injuries
  • provide a pregnancy prophylaxis if desired

Services provided through MSARC:

  • emotional, legal and medical support
  • collection of physical and material evidence
  • emotional support to family members
  • equitable access to the criminal justice system
  • court escort service

Student Mental Health Services can provide emotional support for the victim as well as maintain confidentiality.  A counselor is available at all times. Medical and psychological follow-up is available as long as needed.

Last Published: May 12, 2017