Registrar Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find important registration dates? When do classes start? When is the midpoint?

  • Refer to the online academic calendar for your college or program. You may also refer to the online academic calendar at for registration dates, semester starting and ending dates, midpoints, and academic event dates.

How do I register?

  • Go to Banner Self Service and log in with your UTHSC NetID and password; click Student; Click Registration; Click Add/Drop Classes; Enter the CRNs (course reference numbers) in each of the individual boxes at the bottom of the page; Click Submit. You may print the Student Detail Schedule for your records.

When do I register?

To what classes do I register for?

  • Please contact your department/program in your college for registration instructions including course numbers (CRNs).

I am unable to register for a particular course. What can I do?

  • All course requirements and restrictions can be found in the University’s online bulletins. If you feel that you have met the requirements listed for a specific course, but you are still prevented from adding the course to your registration schedule, contact the Registrar’s Office regarding any additional requirements (e.g. instructor’s approval and additional pre-requisites).

How do I withdraw from classes?

  • When a student must withdraw from the College, a Student Status Change Form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for processing. The student must withdraw within the prescribed time period allowed by the individual College; and must provide notice to their college.
  • After registration period ends, a student may “withdraw” from a course when he/she decides to stop attending. Withdrawing (Student Status Change) from a course prior to the midpoint of the term makes the student eligible for a grade of W. There is no withdrawal limits for graduate and non-degree seeking students (i.e., post-baccalaureate and transients).
  • When a student enrolls in a course and stops attending the class, the student is considered unofficially withdrawn.
  • Visit the Registrar's site for more information regarding withdrawals.

Is there a fee for a duplicate diploma?

How do I get a name change, Social Security Number, or marital status changed in Banner?

  • For security and legal purposes, a legal document, such as a drivers’ license, social security card, marriage license, divorce decree, adoption papers, certificate of name change at naturalization, or other court order indicating change of name, must be presented with the official change of name, marital status, and/or social security number form. Visit the Office of the Registrar's website ( for more information and to request forms.

What do I need to do if my Social Security Number is not in the UTHSC system?

  • You will need to bring your original Social Security Card to the One Stop Shop. You may also contact the Registrar’s office for assistance.

How do I complete my Veterans Affairs (VA) certifications or find out more information?

Why can’t I see my grades in Banner?

  • If your grades are not yet showing this could be because your instructor or department has not completed the submission process. Once all grades have been submitted, the grades are rolled to academic history by the Registrar’s office and you will be able to see your grade on your transcripts and in Banner.

Who do I need to contact to have a grade changed?

  • You will need to contact the professor of the class in question.

I just moved to Memphis, when will my residency change?

Does UTHSC use the National Student Clearinghouse? 

  • Yes, you may use the Student Self-Service menu to order transcripts on line, access student loan information, and print student discount certificates on goods and services.  Also, Enrollment verify and degree verify are available for employers, background search firms and recruiters to expedite confirmation of your enrollment and your degree completion.

What do I do if I have an attachment that needs to go along with my transcript?

  • If you need to include an attachment, please mail or fax the request with the attachment that needs to be mailed with the transcript. Please be sure to provide the following information: date of birth, student ID, any and all former names, signature and delivery address. Please mail or fax to:
    Office of the Registrar
    910 Madison Avenue, Suite 105
    Memphis, Tennessee 38163
    Phone: (901) 448-7703
    Fax: (901) 448-7700

Where can I find an unofficial transcript?

  • In Banner Self-Service, unofficial transcripts can be accessed under the student tab.

Can I change my address?

  • You can change your mailing/current address through Banner Self-Service. Log into Self-Service; select “Personal Information”; Select “Update Addresses and Phones”; under the “Types of Addresses...” dropdown menu select Mailing (current) and click the “Submit” button; enter your information and save the data.
  • In order to change your permanent address, you must visit the Office of the Registrar in person at 910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520 Memphis, TN 38163. Changes to your “permanent” address can only be made by staff in the Registrar’s Office.

Is there a fee for transcripts?

  • No, you may receive a free transcript from the University Registrar’s Office.  However, if you desire 24/7 service with automated order tracking and no need to print, sign, and fax the consent form; you may use the National Student Clearinghouse to request a transcript.  The cost is $10.00 per transcript.

How Do I receive proof of enrollment/a certificate of enrollment verification?

  • Enrollment verifications can be obtained and printed from the National Student Clearinghouse via Self-Service Banner on or after the 15th business day following the start of classes each semester. Processing of manual enrollment verification requests takes up to seven (7) business days. Certificates of enrollment verification will not be provided for students who have outstanding financial obligations to the university.

Enrollment & Degree Verifications may be requested by:

How can a third party request my enrollment verification?

  • We are contracted with the National Student Clearing House for all third party inquiries. Persons/organizations may obtain an enrollment verification by contacting the National Student Clearinghouse. Web:
  • Mail: The National Student Clearinghouse

13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171

  • Telephone: (703) 742.4200

How do I defer my loans?

  • We are contracted with the National Student Clearing House for all third party inquiries.
  • Student deferments for UTHSC loans are automatically generated through the National Student Clearinghouse.
  • Students may also submit a signed request in person (or by mail) with a completed Enrollment Verification form if they have additional loan deferment requests.

How do I request a copy of my official transcript?

  • We are contracted with the National Student Clearing House for all third party inquiries and transcript processing. For a minimal cost of $2.95 students and alumni can request processing and tracking of their transcript request.
  • Contact the National Student Clearinghouse.
  • Currently enrolled students may select Banner Self Service and log in with your UTHSC NetID and password; Click Student Records; Click Request a Printed Transcript; You may send the request to another college or to one of your personal addresses. To send the transcript to a third party that IS NOT another college, simply click on one of your personal addresses and click Continue. The next screen will allow you to edit the address information.
  • For traditional service, you may complete the Transcript Request form.

How do I view holds on my account?

  • Go to Banner Self Service and log in with your UTHSC NetID and password; Click Student Records; Click View Holds

Who do I contact if I have a hold on my account?

  • You must contact the department that placed the hold. You will not be able to registrar with a financial hold on your record.

How do I get copies of course descriptions?