Guidelines for Visiting Students
Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) is an AAMC application designed to streamline the application process for senior "away" electives at other U.S. LCME medical schools. Please use the Extramural Electives Compendium (EEC) for visiting student application information. U.S. LCME medical students, please complete a VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates. For more information on VSAS, please see services.aamc.org/20/vsas/ or contact (202) 478-9878. For more information on our visiting student electives, please contact Ruby Bland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Tennessee, College of Medicine has elective opportunities available at its sites in Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville, and Jackson for students from other medical schools. To be eligible for consideration, students must meet the following criteria:
- Visiting students must be candidate for the M.D. or D.O. degree in good standing in an accredited medical school or from institutions with which UTHSC has a formal exchange program. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Dean of Medical Education or his/her designee
- Visiting students shall be limited to a maximum of (12 weeks) of experiences during their medical school career. Electives will be assigned to visiting students only after all University of Tennessee students have been scheduled
- All visiting students must have:
- coverage for malpractice/liability insurance in the amount of $1 million per incident and $3 million aggregate from their institution or from acceptable other sources
- health insurance,
- required immunizations for measles and rubella,
- completed the Hepatitis B vaccine series,
- taken a TB skin test within the past year, and
- been certified in CPR within the past year.
- Visiting students must have completed instruction in the basic physical examination and have a working knowledge of general ward procedures. All electives require that the student has completed the basic Family Medicine, Medicine, Neurology, Pediatrics, Surgery, Psychiatry, and Obstetrics-Gynecology clerkships. All students must have met the prerequisites of the clerkship to which they are applying
An original Visiting Student Application form must be submitted to the UT Office of Medical Education no earlier than April of the student's junior year and at least four weeks prior to beginning the rotation (click here for the rotation schedules).
This form is not available online. Students attending U.S. medical schools may obtain applications from the respective departments in the UT College of Medicine. Others should request applications from the College of Medicine's Office of Medical Education.
The completed application should be submitted via mail to:
Office of Medical Education
UT College of Medicine
910 Madison, Suite 1002
Memphis, TN 38163