New Student Orientation
New Student Orientation [NSO] week begins Monday, August 7 ending Friday, August 11. You will begin receiving numerous e-mails from the College of Medicine Admissions Office early May to mid-August to assist you in your transition. To view the names of your classmates, [after June 15] you will need your UT NetiD and password. Your NSO packet will be waiting for you when you arrive at 7:45 a.m., Monday, August 7 in the Lobby of the General Education Building, at the corner of Madison and Dunlap. Wear comfortable walking shoes and casual clothing as the Memphis weather is hot this time of the year.
Students should not make travel arrangements or other appointments that may conflict with NSO week.
Things to confirm
- You will have two weeks from the date of your offer to respond via fax, e-mail or postal mail [the form included in your acceptance packet] to acknowledge that you have officially received your acceptance packet. Once this form is received, you will be e-mailed a confirmation from the College of Medicine Admissions office with 24-48 hours to acknowledge receipt.
- Confirm scholarship(s) and make sure financial aid is in place.
- The deadline to confirm that final transcripts have been received is July 18.
- Read the AAMC Traffic rules... The deadline to confirm your acceptance is April 30.
- The final deadline to defer/delay your matriculation or accept our offer is July 1.
Things to do online before NSO week
- Complete FAFSA.
- In order to finalize your acceptance, the institution requires that ALL students be
fully admitted to the University. The UT Health Science Center Office of Admissions
[Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services] will contact you regarding your
NetiD and default password which may take 2-3 weeks from the time you have received
your acceptance packet. Once you receive your NetiD and default password you can log-in to Banner Self-Service to begin the acceptance process. By completing the acceptance process, this will
enable you to be awarded financial aid and register for classes prior to matriculation,
i.e., batch registration. The College of Medicine Admissions office will e-mail you
with this information after June 15. [Netid and password will be required]
You will be asked to authorize a $75.00 charge to your credit card. The $75.00 processing fee is non-refundable.
- View the Bursar's/Cashier's link to include:  Student Loans;  Payment of Fees and First Year Expenses.
- Read about and then complete the required Information Security Training
- Complete Student Parking Permit.
- Read about and then complete a Criminal Background Check.
You will be asked to authorize a $50.00 charge to your credit card. Once completed, you will receive a full copy of the CBC report, via e-mail from Verified Credentials within a few days. If you have already completed a CBC for other medical schools, through AMCAS, the report has not been released to this medical school, as we are not a participant in the AAMC facilitated background check service. The College of Medicine's deadline to submit your CBC is July 30.
- Read about and then complete the required Student Authorization
- Read and submit the Faculty/Peer Mentor Group Selection Form [AFTER JULY 20]. The College of Medicine Student Affairs Office will e-mail you with this information. [Netid & password will be required].
- Complete the on-line AAMC Matriculating Student Questionnaire. The deadline to complete the questionnaire is July 30.
- Register your Response Device ID in CORE after July 28: After purchasing a Clicker, your next step is to complete the device registration process in CORE. Please download a PDF copy of the step-by-step instructions.
Things to read before NSO week
- Read the NSO Orientation Handbook & Resource Guide.
- Read the NSO Schedule.
- Read the Student Health Information.
- Read the Honor Code, do not sign until the first day of NSO and do not fax or postal mail.
- Read Gross Anatomy Information.
- Read the History of the White Coat Ceremony.
- Read the First Year Curriculum, the Academic Calendar and When Classes Begin.
- Read the M1 Class Course Description.
- Before writing that check, read the NSO Orientation Handbook and Resource Guide student parking section.
- Free Parking During NSO Week.
Things to mail in or send via FAX before NSO week
- Request final transcripts from each college/university you have attended.
- Send the required EVEA form to the central admissions office
- Send the required immunization form to University Health Services.
- Send the required United Healthcare student insurance information
- Complete the College of Medicine Survey to be postal mailed after July 17.
- The White Coat Ceremony program will include your name provided to us when you submitted your AMCAS application. If your name has changed after submitting your AMCAS application and you will be completing a name change on academic record for, e-mail our office to let us know you have completed the name change request and wish to have your name changed in the White Coat Ceremony Program.
Things to bring with you to NSO week
- Bring your checkbook to pay for student parking, unless you included this fee on your fee sheet.
- Bring copies of your immunization records just in case your copy is not on file.
Things to do during the summer
- Get fitted for your white coat.
- Take care of your ID/photo at Campus Police June 1 through August 4.
- Take care of your student parking permit June 1 through August 4.
- Computer Requirements
- Get Your Computer Ready.
- RSVP your parents and significant others for the Parents Appreciation Day.
- RSVP your parents, significant others and guests for the White Coat Ceremony.
- Check out the Information Technology Services.
- Check out the catalog.
- Check out the Bookstore to purchase the necessary and available textbooks.
- Check out the Dining Services/Meal Plan.
- Check out the Fitness Center.
- Check out the off-campus housing.
- Check out the Phi Chi Fraternity housing for a place to live.
- Check out the looking for a roommate locator list.
- Check to see who's in the class by viewing the class roster. Your UTHSC netiD and password will be required. [subject to change without notice]
- e2Campus Alert Registration
- Directions to the UTHSC Campus and the White Coat Ceremony
- Enrollment Verification Form
- Free Parking During NSO Week
- Self-Service Log-in
- Parents Appreciation Day Information
- Student Academic Support Services and Inclusion
- Where to Park on Campus
- White Coat Ceremony Information
Additional Contact Information
College of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Medical Center Plaza
910 Madison Ave, Suite 1043
Memphis, Tennessee 38163
Phone: (901) 448-5559
Fax: (901) 448-1740
Medicine Admissions Staff
Assistant Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs:
David M. Stern, MD